April 6th is the private view of the much awaited Exiles Exhibition. We have just had confirmation that Lord Dubs will be our guest speaker.
“My Lords, I am delighted that we have got this far with the Bill. I hope the Commons will get a move on and pass it into law. There are children and people the world over who will be safer now as a result of this ban. It is a good news day for all of us.”
Cluster Munitions Prohibitions Bil (8 Feb 2010) – Lord Dubs
- Born in Prague, then Czechoslovakia, Dubs was one of 669 Czech, mainly Jewish, children saved by English stockbroker Nicholas Winton from the Nazis on the ‘Kindertransport’.
- He was educated at Cheadle Hulme School and the London School of Economics. He then worked as a local government officer.
- Dubs was elected at 1979 general election as Member of Parliament (MP) for Battersea South and in 1983 for Battersea, before losing his seat at the 1987 election.
- 1988 to 1995 he was Director of the Refugee Council.
- He has also been a local Councillor, Chair of the Fabian Society, Chair of Liberty, a Trustee of Action Aid, a Trustee of the Immigration Advisory Service and of a number of other voluntary organisations.
- In 2008 Lord Dubs was an active member of the House of Lords, participating in 42 debates, well above average for a Peer. He serves on the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Human Rights.
We are delighted to have Lord Dubs attending the event which will bring together people with shared experiences and related areas of research in the theme of human rights and exile.
Using the artist Tom de Freston’s treatment in his work of exile, alienation, displacement, executions, and human rights as a thought-provoking backdrop, we aim to stimulate an informal but lively and creative discussion.
Attending will be refugees, human rights activists and organisations, academics and policy-makers. The evening should prove to be a fascinating shared experience for all.
Wine will be served, and a short talk given by the artist.
Private view at Brick Lane Gallery 7:00 – 8:30pm
If you would like to attend the private view please contact Pablo – email@example.com